Going on holiday with the whole family doesn’t have to be a stressful experience. Nowadays a “child-friendly” hotel means so much more than a swimming pool and burger and chips on the evening menu. There’s a wealth of choices out there for any would-be globetrotting parents, which mean that relaxation and luxury don’t have to be sacrificed in order to keep the little ones happy. We’ve chosen some idyllic spots in the Canaries which offer an incredible experience for the whole family.
What Do You Need?
Before booking anything, take a little time to decide what your necessities are, and to do your research. Whether it’s a children’s menu that caters for picky eaters or a great babysitting service, there’ll be a hotel for you that meets your needs and goes beyond them. To help you, we’ve put together a little checklist that meets most parents’ criteria for a worry-free family holiday.
- A central location. As a parent myself, I know that having a base near to those sites you want to visit and to main transport hubs is a lifesaver.
- Varied food options. Every parent knows how tricky it can be to get a child to eat something they don’t recognise, so a full and well-thought-out children’s menu is the mark of an excellent hotel.
- Out-of-hours food access. When the hotel restaurant is closed, you’ll need a shop or mini supermarket nearby to deal with hungry offspring. A minibar and microwave in the hotel room are also handy for keeping and preparing snacks.
- A place for kids to run around. Whether an organised activity club or the hotel grounds, it’s great to have somewhere they can let off a little steam before bed so you can enjoy a good night’s sleep.
- Babysitting facilities. Being able to rely on experienced, capable professionals to take the children off your hands for an hour or two will mean you get a bit of well-needed me-time.
- A good-sized room. We know that cramming two adults and two kids (or more!) into a shoebox does not a relaxed holiday make. I recommend paying that bit extra for a suite which will house your whole family comfortably and give you extra space to relax after the little ones have gone to bed.
Where Should You Stay?
We know how daunting it can feel to trawl through an endless list of hotels trying to find the perfect one. So we’ve done some research and selected some truly exceptional places to stay that cater for the whole family.
You can read more about our recommendations for luxury family holidays here.
Adrian Hotel Roca Nivaria Gran
Situated right on the water’s edge with breathtaking views of the Atlantic, the exceptional Roca Nivaria Gran is apart from the busier resorts of Tenerife South, but still has enough going on.
Children of all ages will be thoroughly cared for and entertained with an extensive programme of activities. The Mini Club caters for 4 to 12 year olds and has a playground, a sandpit, a TV room and games led by Roni, the hotel’s pilot whale mascot. There’s also the evening Belingo Mini Disco with music and dancing, and a restaurant with a play area and pirate ship-shaped buffet.
Whilst the younger members of the family are in the capable hands of the hotel’s incredible staff, there’s no shortage of ways for the grown-ups to spend their time. A recent client enjoyed exploring the beautiful landscape and surrounding UNESCO World Heritage sites, or you can stick closer to your base with the hotel’s spa, gym and golfing facilities. With the beach right on your doorstep and more dining options than you could dream of, the Roca Nivaria Gran is paradise for the whole family.
A luxurious hotel on Lanzarote’s picturesque south coast, Princesa Yaiza has a multitude of facilities ideal for young families.
Most impressive is the Kikoland Play Area, which boasts 10,000ft² of play and sports facilities for children of all ages, including playhouses, basketball, a slider pool, a climbing wall, crafts, mini discos every evening and an amphitheatre for shows and live music.
Princesa Yaiza holds an incredible 5 restaurants and 3 buffets inside its walls, with delicious world cuisine made fresh by the team of exceptional chefs. With such a range on offer, there’ll be something to satisfy even the pickiest of eaters. There are also a number of swimming pools and Jacuzzis, a free gym, and a spa right on the seafront so you can enjoy a massage whilst looking out onto the breathtaking Playa Blanca.
Ritz Carlton Abama
Though all of our hotels are amazing in their own way, here at Prestige we can all agree that the Ritz Carlton Abama is the shining star of the Canaries. Not only can it claim exquisite views and incredible service, but its children’s facilities are the best we have come across.
The children’s club at the Ritz Carlton Abama prides itself not only on being entertaining, but a genuinely immersive and educational experience. As well as fun activities such as painting, making pizzas, ping pong and Zumba, your little ones can also learn about subjects from Koi Carp to the solar system, with interactive workshops that will teach them about wildlife and nature.
The multiple Michelin-starred restaurants within the hotel cover every possible dish you could wish for, and recent guests told me they were thoroughly impressed with the interesting and nutritious kids menu – no run-of-the-mill pizza and chips here! For the adults, there’s a par-72 golf course, a luxury spa and a tennis academy, so you can make the most of a bit of peace and quiet whilst knowing your offspring are having the time of their lives.